Crane Aikikai Aikido is a martial arts club devoted to teaching and learning the practice of Aikido, founded by Morihei Ueshiba (O-Sensei). “Aikikai” is the style of aikido that we practice. We are members of the British Columbia Aikido Federation (BCAF) and Canadian Aikido Federation (CAF).
We are an adult-oriented club that also includes a small number of highly dedicated youth and children. We welcome practitioners of all levels, from beginner to advanced. Classes are generally mixed to enable members to learn from one another as well as from our instructor(s). An annual 6-8 week beginners course is usually offered in the Fall, when there is sufficient interest.
Practices are 3 x per week (Tue, Thu, Sat) as follows:
Tuesday and Thursday evenings:
- 7:00-8:00 pm mixed class of all levels (with focus on beginners)
- 8:00-9:00 pm advanced class (beginners invited at the discretion of the instructor)
- 9:00-10:30 am mixed class (all welcome)
Classes start promptly at the times shown. Students should ensure they are changed and prepared for training in advance of the start time. A willingness to assist with mat set up and dojo cleaning before and after each class is expected from members, as they are able.
To train at our dojo, practitioners must be members in good standing with the BCAF & CAF. Generally, new and prospective students may participate in up to 3 training sessions before paying fees and/or joining BCAF & CAF.
- First family member: $70/month
- Additional family member (i.e., same source of income): $30/month
- Temporarily absent members: $20/month maintenance fee
- Out-of-town members who attend 4 or less practices per month: $40/month
Annual Dues (includes mandatory insurance through CAF membership):
- $35/year for 15 years and older; $20/year for under 15 years
- Visiting aikidoka with BCAF & CAF membership through another dojo or who have an affiliation that provides insurance equivalent to CAF: $10 per class (excluding visiting Sensei who are welcome at no cost).
- Practitioners without BCAF & CAF membership (or equivalent): $15 per class (limit of 3 classes before BCAF & CAF membership are required).
Prospective students are welcome to watch or try one of our regular scheduled classes anytime. A clean white gi is typically worn for practicing but comfortable sports pants and t-shirt are fine for someone interested in a first experience on the mats.